I have been wanting the Buds and Blooms stamps set from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps since it was released a few months ago (March, I think). I finally bought it and received it in the mail a couple days ago. I've also been wanting to do this resist technique but hadn't gotten 'round to it. The Saturday flowers challenge for KKS blog is a perfect time for it.
This project uses three main techniques, masking, sponging (or using a blending tool), and resist.
First technique: Masking. I created Post-It Note masks for the rose stamp by stamping on to the Post-It Notes and fussy cutting it out. I only cut three masks, but could easily move one to another spot. With the masks in place around where I wanted the roses, I stamped the leaves. These masks blocked off some of the stems so the leaves would look like they were coming from behind the roses. After stamping the leaves, I sponged a bit more ink around them to fill in any gaps. Since I was planning to cover the whole background with black, I wasn't worried about going outside the lines as long as it wasn't where roses were going.
Part one of the third technique: Resisting. With the rose masks in place, I stamped the leaves with Versamark and added clear embossing powder. I forgot to both heat set the ink and to use powder on the paper, so I had to do some brushing off of embossing powder where I didn't want it to be.
I heat embossed the leaves to create the first resist. The ink from the sponging won't cover the leaves. This is why I did them before full sponging. You can see in the picture where I had experimented with having leaves masks. Then I realised I didn't need them if I made them resist before adding the other colour.
Second Technique: Sponging. The sponges I use are with the mini blending tool because it's just so handy. I have a pad for each mini ink pad that nestles in the bottom of the pad. I used three inks and a swirling motion to add colour to the background in pinks and red. I was aiming for an ombre-like effect. Since the leaves are covered by clear embossing, they resist the ink and remain green without masking.
Part two of the third technique: Resist. Preparatory to embossing the roses, I heat set the ink and powdered the surface. I still haven't gotten around to getting a proper powder tool, so I use talcum powder in a nylon stocking. It's messier, but works.
I stamped the solid roses one by one with Versamark and covered them with clear embossing powder after stamping. I did them individually rather than at one time to avoid the ink getting too dry or embossing powder going where I didn't want it.
I heat embossed the clear embossing to create resists for the last step of sponging.
I sponged black ink over the entire bookmark. Everywhere with the clear embossing resisted the ink and remained the colour of below it. I didn't get sharp stamping (hard to see with Versamark) so the roses weren't crisp. But this gives a bit of a distressed look, so it's not entirely bad. You can see, too, where the embossing over the green was out of place because I hadn't heat set the ink and then powdered.
To add a touch of all over sparkle, I spritzed on some water with Perfect Pearls. I also used a corner punch and put in a centre hole. A sparkly sheer pink ribbon finishes it off.
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps blog 18 June Saturday challenge: Flowers
- If you're going to be embossing over ink, especially Distress Ink or pigment ink, both of which are slow drying, heat set the ink.
- Remember to use talcum powder before embossing powder to prevent strays.