Handcoloured vellum leaves decorate this sympathy card in a simple design.
Less Is More: Vellum or Acetate
Addicted to Stamps and More: Make Your Mark
Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge: Autumn
Try It On Tuesday: Handmade By You
Creative With Stamps: Sentiment
When I saw this week's challenge for Less Is More was vellum, it started the gears turning in my head. It lead, though, to two projects which were neither cards nor simple *laugh*: Autumn Masque and Pumpkin Light. Working on those reminded me how much I love vellum and how lovely it is with Distress Ink, how the translucence of the vellum and the ink play well together, and how shape-able it is for leaves.
I stared with a small panel of vellum suitable for the dies I would be using. I tapped on various browns, oranges, yellows, and reds of Distress Ink abstractly: Barn Door, Aged Mahogany, Ripe Persimmon, Tea Dye, Vintage Photo, Marmalade Spice, Dried Marigold, Mustard Seed, Fossilized Amber, and Rusty Hing.
I spritzed the panel with water to make the ink movable...
...then used a brush to blend the ink. Vellum loves to curl up when it's wet.
I used a heat tool to dry the vellum. The vellum flattens nicely as it dries, but still with a bit of crinkliness.
I added in a bit more colour, tapping the mini pads on the coloured vellum and blending it in with a wet brush: adding Carved Pumpkin, Wild Honey, and Pine Needles.
I die cut the vellum into 2 leaves fresh in their fallness.
For more depth, I added smudges of Ground Esspresso, to the edges. I also added some copper Perfect Pearls for a bit of shine (doesn't show as much in the pictures but does in person).
I used a bone folder and a scrap of fun foam to score veining from the back of the leaf.
I used the ball of a clay shaper to curl the edges of the leaves.
And, finished vellum leaves.
When I started making the card, I hadn't intended to make a sympathy card, but this was the sentiment that sang to me when the leaves were done. I stamped the sentiment in Mememto Potters Clay to play off the colours in the leaves.
I attached the leaves with two Glue Dots on each so they could retain their own dimension.