24 June 2017

Wings


And with brave wings, she flies! Monica in her butterfly wing costume takes flight!

Featuring two adorable House Mouse mousies, the magic of this interactive card is achieved with the help of a hanging charm die set from Elizabeth Craft Designs.




Supplies



Putting It Together

Someday I might use Monica with her pumpkin bucket *laugh* She's just been too precious to use as a sort of butterfly. She's so very fun.


I stamped up my mousies with dark brown ink on a scrap of watercolour cardstock.  I didn't stamp Monica's pumpkin bucket this time because I planned to fussy cut the butterfly mousie.


After stamping, I dry fit the frame die around her. A tight fit but I was sure it would work. I painted/coloured the mousies with Distress ink and, then, for the butterfly wings, I wanted to use a product I recently bought, Finetec pearlescent watercolours.


I used a Mini Mister to add just a small bit of water to the pan I wanted to use. When the Finetec is wet to a paste like consistency, it's opaque and quite lovely.


I used Crystal Gold and Orange Copper on her wings with Sapphire Blue and Deep Black. I used Red on the antenna balls along with some Crystal Gold. The wings are quite shimmery in person.

I fussy cut the mousies, a thigh trim on Monica and a small margin on the Hopeful Mouse.


On Monica, I  used Distress Chipped Sapphire to colour the edges...


... which left the back not looking so good if she flipped.


So, I covered the back with Finetec Sapphire Blue.

Then I turned to making the interactive element.


I used the die set to cut the pieces for the hanging charm.


The directions on the package a bit unclear, so I looked for the video on Youtube (linked at the end of this post) and it was all so clear.


Tab A goes into slot B which is folded on... yeah, watch the video, it's easier :)


But I did get it assembled and it was considerably easier than I thought it would be. I had embossed, with gold, "Pull" on the top of the tab that.. well.. needs to be pulled.


I used a small low gold sparkly embellishment to cover the end of the baker's twine on the back of the mousie butterfly and used a mini Glue Dot to make sure it stays stuck. I sandwiched the top of the twine in the frame.


Dangling the frame and Monica by the excess twine, she's so sparkly! I trimmed the excess after making sure the adhesive on the frame was well and truly squished it.


The frame gets attached to the slide at the bottom, very similar to an easel card.


Monica seemed to like her new found flight.


I used a stamping block to add the sentiment to the reveal area. I thought this stamp from Unity fit so perfectly.


I added Monica's hopeful friend to the frame, making sure he would move easily as well.


I did a dry fit layout for the rest of the card.


Before assembling the front, I stamped an inside sentiment. Again, this seemed to be the perfect sentiment. It's from a Kraftin' Kimmie set that's all butterflies.


I used ECD adhesive to adhere the charm hanger to ensure it stays stuck.


I roughed up the edges of the strips and the charm hanger before adding them. I used mini Glue Dots to add the flowers and added some sparkly gold embellishments, too. 







Challenges

House Mouse and Friends: Interactive card
Ching-Chou Kuik: Butterflies
Addicted to Stamps and More: Make Your Mark
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge: Use Patterned Paper
Incy Wincy: Sparkle and Shine
Penny's Paper-crafting: Anything Goes
Inspiration Destination: Anything Goes



8 comments:

  1. Love the design! Thanks for playing along at Pennys' Challenges.
    Mary xx (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous interactive mousey creation, with a great tutorial super take on the Interactive chall theme.

    Thanks for sharing with us at House-Mouse & Friends Monday Challenge

    Smiles Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute image and a fun technique.
    Thanks for sharing at ATSM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome card! Love the design, pretty papers, and little mice.
    Thanks for sharing it with us at the House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge.

    Hugs
    sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! How cute? Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Patterned Paper challenge. Gayatri xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome tutorial!! Thanks so much for sharing with House-Mouse Designs and Stampendous! We're sharing this card on our Facebook Page tomorrow!! Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your lovely crafting for Penny’s challenge 334– hope to see you again soon – Hazel DT x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.