27 June 2017

Heart


Love is!

This heartful card features a My Favorite Things stencil on a heart.



Supplies



Putting It Together

How does the saying go? "Best laid plans of mice and men..." Why is it that every time I plan a quick and easy card something goes awry and it ends up taking more time than it should with every gaff possible? This card was no different. The end result is lovely, but the path to get there.. ack.


The sketch inspiration for this card comes from the #338 MFT challenge. (and I was racing the clock to get this post done before the challenge closed.)


I used a Spelbinders die to cut a heart in a piece of value cardstock and laid the Circle Burst stencil over it. This it the look I was aiming for.


I first used clear embossing and Cosmic Shimmer on the heart and panel and... some got under the edges. ARGH! bleah. I set that aside.


I also decided to try a different colour approach and use the colours from the MFT colour challenge.


I started again with a new panel. I was still aiming for having a full panel with the dots in a clear embossing with the heart stenciled on top. I placed the Circle Burst stencil over the panel and anchored it with washi tape.


I used the VersaMark pad directly to the panel through the stencil.


I added embossing powder using a pair of tweezers to hold the panel.


I used the heat tool to set the embossing powder. I used an iridescent powder on this second run to add a subtle sparkle.


I cut a stencil with the heart out of a sheet of plastic I had. When cutting a plastic material with a wafer thin die, you need to use the Precision Base Plate or it won't cut all the way through. I placed the stencil on the embossed panel. Note the exposed panel at the bottom of the stencil....


I used the blending tool to add Salty Ocean.  Note the exposed panel at the bottom of the stencil, I missed that, or rather I didn't miss it with the blender...


To add a bit of shine to the blue, I brushed on Blue Raspberry Perfect Pearls.


And... the finished panel. The heart is lovely. The bottom of the panel where I had left it exposed while using the heart stencil is not. ARGH! I set it aside and tried a couple other approaches.


I embossed with a dark sapphire with the Salty Ocean heart. ummmm... no.


I tried doing the heart first and then using a Clarity brush with Weathered Wood and the Circle Burst stencil. Almost... if I had trusted the brush and kept it very very very light, maybe. but.. no. It looks a bit like Dalek Love.


So... I cut the pink heart, the first attempt, and used it to make a card, abandoning the colour challenge colors. Not bad, but.. it wasn't singing to me. It was, however, after my bedtime so I grumbled and went to bed.


At 3am-ish it hit me and woke me up. The first blue heart cut on a grey background. So.. I got up and did so.


I framed a slate grey panel with the Dapper Denim stitched frame.


I added the heart with foam mounting tape to give it dimension and used clear red drops. It sang to me and I could go back to sleep. (I usually do the blog post writing in the morning while I eat breakfast before going to the day job.)


I used a Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps set for the inside sentiment and added a red confetti heart over the heart in the stamp.




Challenges

MFT Sketch challenge: #338
Crafty Gals Corner: Any Holiday (Valentines)
Scribbles Designs: Holiday Hoopla (Valentines)
Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge: Stencil It

3 comments:

  1. This is just such a gift from the heart! Thank you for joining us over at Crafty Gals Corner Challenge. Hope to see you again soon and best of luck this week! Jana DT/CGCC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is so pretty! I love the soft color of the stenciled heart. Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello… Thanks for sharing your card with us… your card is lovely and fits perfectly with our “Holiday Hoopla” challenge theme… please join us next time and Good Luck in the draw.
    [Diane Louise, DT Member, Scribbles Designs Challenge Blog]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.