She dreams. She pursued big Dreams instead of small realities. My project today is a dreamy background and a "hippy" outfit on a 5" x 7" canvas board with paper piecing, embossed texture paste and gears (technology in the background of the dreams).
Putting It Together
You might wonder how a challenge for paper piecing ended up with me doing a mixed media canvas. Well.. umm.. I recently got the Tess set because she was on sale and I had been coveting her since fist I saw her. She reminds me of me. I got the She sentiment set earlier (also due to being on sale at that time) but hadn't had opportunity to use any of them. They're larger than most sentiments, making them harder to fit in on projects, but I really love the sentiments and have been wanting to fit them into a project. So.. today, I thought to myself, why not a canvas today. And thus..
I wanted a bit smother texture than the canvas board as is so I smoothly smeared it with white gesso and set it aside to dry (I was working on 2 projects most of today both with drying times, switching back and forth between them).
I dry fit the stamps I would be using as a start to the project. (The black cord is power for my phone which I was using for video on the other project.)
To make a mask so I could do a background treatment and leave her space 'clean', I stamped Tess on Vellum. I fussy cut the image from the vellum.
Since I chose a rather bodacious Kaisercraft paper to piece her tunic, I used the vellum mask to choose the best location. The paper is embossed with slick areas. Very tactile.
The stamp is opaque so I couldn't just use to to place on the paper. So, I carefully put the stamp into place over the vellum in the Misti. I closed the door to pick up the stamp and then stamped.
Out of habit I inked the full stamp but only needed to ink the area of the tunic. The stamp was just a little off from where I wanted, but not far. I wanted the elephant-ish shape on the shoulder and the partial flower near the hem.
I fussy cut the tunic.
I stamped the pants on Core'dinations with a very pronounced texture and fussy cut them, too.
I dry fit the paper pieces on the vellum and liked the look of the outfit. I don't own anything like it but would, in one of my more 'hippy' moods probably wear it if I had it *laugh*
This is one of the Core'dinations papers with a lighter colour at the core. I decided to make her pants 'distressed' by using a nail buffer to sand the edges of the pants to take off the top layer of the paper and reveal the lighter colour.
I like the look..
I stamped the image on to the canvas board with black archival ink.
To use the vellum as a mask, I put removable adhesive on the back.
I put the vellum mask over the stamped image and gave the whole board a wash of Distressed Ink, Shaded Lilac and touches of Broken China.
The first stencil I use is one from The Crafter's Workshop with circles in circles. I used Seeded Preserves with a Clarity brush.
The lighter colour shows through in the places the stencil covers.
I continued added different stencils from my stash. I used texture paste with one stencil and glittered embossing powder over it. I also sprayed on Perfect Pearls mixed with water using a Mini Mister.
Using Distress Ink and water brushes, I painted the areas of the stamp not to be covered by the paper piecing. With Multi-Medium Matte, I attached the paper piecing.
All that was left was to stamp the sentiment with Aegean Blue, a lovely blue grey that fits the mood of the piece.
Unity Stamps Facebook challenge: Paper Piecing
Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge: Make Your Own Background
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
Inspiration Destination: Anything Goes