As a bit of whimsy, I decided to make a shaped easel card for a Valentine. The heart is fussy cut from a template I fashioned with the stamps and dies from Impression Obsession.
I don't have any large heart dies, so I had to make my card template from scratch.
I used an A2 (4.25" x 5.5") sized piece of value cardstock to like when we were kids, create a heart by folding the paper in half and cutting the half heart shape. This was the template I used to create the card.
From the heavier (110lb) cardstock, I cut a piece 8.5" x 5.5". I scored it the piece at 4.25" to make an A2 card base.
Just as I would with a die cut to make a shaped card, I laid my template on the base with the area I wanted for the top of the card above the fold.
I traced around my template and then fussy cut the card base.
I added a second score close to the midpoint of one side of the base.
These two scores create the easel base. The front of the card gets attached to the lower part of the front of the base.
For the card front, I traced the template on to the soft finish cardstock and fussy cut it as well. I used a lighter weight (85lb) cardstock for the card front only because I did not have a heavier cardstock on hand. I chose to use the soft finish cardstock because I like the texture of the finish and wouldn't be doing any watercolouring.
To make sure there were no pencil marks on the finished card, I used an eraser to go over the edges.
I die cut the Love from Core'dinations with a lighter coloured core. I put the die cut into the void and used a nail buffer to lightly sand the paper to reveal the core. Having it in the cut void allowed me to sand without the die cut getting torn or distorted.
Sanding the die cut brings out the texture of the paper.
I die cut the XO border die from the same Core'dinations paper and an additional two from white value paper. I sanded the pink XO strip in the same way as the Love. I ran all three through the Xylon to add adhesive to them.
I used a bone folder to press the clear film around the intricate cuts.
I removed the film but left the cut strips on the backing sheet.
While the strips were on the backing sheet, I layered the strips on top of each other to make a stacked die cut. Stacking them on the backing sheet is far less messy.
I used the stacked strip on the lower part of the easel to make it the stopper to hold the easel open. I sponged some Picked Raspberry Distress Ink on the edges of the card back and stamped on the second part of the sentiment. I also sponged the edge of the card front edges and adhered the Love and stamped the first part of the sentiment.
I attached the card front to the bottom of the card base front.
This makes the easel shape.
I decided to transform the tiny heart from Love's "o" into an embellishment. Because it is so tiny, I attached it to a scrap of cardstock with a bit of removable adhesive. I made sure there was no adhesive except behind the heart by rubbing away the excess.
I used a VersaMarker to ink up the heart.
And added embossing power before heating it. I did this a couple times to build up the dimension of the embellishment.
Since the heart camp out of the Love, it was easy fitting the embellishment back into the same spot. A spot of Multi-medium Matte and it's stuck.
The card closed as a nice sentiment that becomes even nicer with the addition of the easel.