24 May 2018

Book Kitty - stenciling, vintage buttons, single layer


Reading under a tree is the perfect Spring or Summer day for me. Newton's taking a nap with his book. My card features Newton Nook stamps, a stencil from the May My Monthly Hero from Hero Arts, Distress inks, and vintage buttons!

Putting It Together

Yesterday I picked up my My Monthly Hero box from my order earlier this month (I have it shipped to a box in the US since I'm about 20 mins from the border). On the drive home, while thinking about the current Inky Paws challenge, I was also thinking about the lovely tree items in the May kit. Then an idea hit me with a flash, the tree stencil, the kitty with the open book, and buttons out of my vintage stash. Bingo!


I did a dry fit with the stencil and stamps and then started to look for buttons. Usually, I look for 'embellishments' when I am done with the colouring aspects of the card, but with such a solid idea in my head, I started looking for buttons at the start.

I got a large stash of vintage buttons from a neighbour who moved away last summer. There are a lot of singles, doubles, occasionally a few more identicals. With a friend, I sorted a lot of them into colour groups and keep them in a large plastic divided box.


I found four matching low-shank pink buttons that sang to me, four matching flower like buttons, and a single sparkly-pearly low-shank button that I just had to use, too.


I used Purple Tape to anchor my card base and stencil. I used the blender tool to add four Distress inks: Bundled Sage, Crushed Olive, Mowed Lawn, and Forest Moss.


When I took off the stencil, it looked so magical, I decided to add a little Perfect Pearls, perfect pearl, with a soft brush to the still slightly damp ink.


I used a dry Swiffer cloth to wipe away any of the powder that didn't cling to the ink.


For an impression of grass, I used a blender with Mowed Lawn and Crushed Olive to swipe up from the bottom of the card.


I stamped the kitty and sentiment with black. When adding the grass, I forgot where I was going to put the kitty so I had grass through his book, too. Oops.


I used Distress ink and a waterbrush to colour the kitty and book. I had to be careful with the amount of water since I didn't use a watercolour paper for the card base. I used Weathered Wood on the book to soften the green and make the pages look more page-y. I simply used Tea Dye and Worn Lipstick on the kitty for a loose quick colouring.


I then added the buttons with Glue Dots to finish the card front. I love the buttons as flowers. I'm definitely going to need to remember this idea for later.


Inside, I stamped another kitty and sentiment from the set. I stamped them along the bottom because that's where I felt the fit best. I debated colouring the inside kitty, too, but I was running out of time before bed.



Supplies

Challenges

Inky Paws: Add Buttons
AAA Cards: Inspired by Nature
Crafter's Cafe: Creatures Great and Small
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Use More than One Stamp
Happy Little Stampers Watercolour: CAS
Happy Little Stampers CAS: One Layer
Crafty Gals Corner: Anything Goes
Always Fun: Anything Goes



10 comments:

  1. Lovely stenciling and great pairing with the stamp sets. Thanks for playing along at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful card! The buttons as leaves is a fun way to interpret the challenge at Inky Paws! And who wouldn't enjoy reading a novel under this shady tree! Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a relaxing card! I love the feel of it! Thanks for playing with us at the Inky Paws Challenge this week and hope to see your creations next week too! Zsofi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi this is a gorgeous card. Thank you for joining us at Always Fun Challenges for Challenge 59 with the theme Anything Goes. Hugs Jackie (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, think I might go and join him - love the idea of reading under a shady tree! Thanks for joining in with the Inspired by Nature Challenge at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute card, great design. Thank you for entering your wonderful creation at The Crafter's Cafe this fortnight for our "All creatures Great and Small" challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwww...I love this scene!! So relaxing and adorable!!
    Thanks so much for joining us at Inky Paws!!
    <3 Emily L.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous kitty card, do love your button tree.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great tutorial, thank you for showing how you created this amazing card. I love all her details.
    Thank you for Happy Little Stampers Watercolor.
    BożenA DT HLS

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful project! I love it! Your tutorial is really fabulous! Nicely done My Friend! Thank you so much for joining us in our ATG challenge at Crafty Gals Corner. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.

    Judy Crafty Gals Corner DT
    Don't Mess With Me, I'm Scrappy {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.