10 February 2017

Dino Birthday


A felt birthday tag with a cute little Dino on one side and...


..."happy birthday" on the other with impressions of balloons in the background and tied up with hemp twine. Wouldn't this look great on a gift for a little boy?

Supplies


Putting It Together

The first time I saw Dino, he brought a smile to me. I think he works wonderfully in this birthday tag.


Dino is a digital stamp. I printed him on lightweight watercolour cardstock, sprayed the image with hairspray to help set the ink and reduce printer ink bleeding while colouring wth a water medium such as Distress Ink (my usual medium), and set him aside to wait for a project.

I first applied a light purple with watercolour pencil while I was at Stamp 'n' Chat, but hadn't gone further to complete his colouring. While looking for a new project last night, he was like that kid in the back of the class enthusiastically raising his arm to get attention. I picked him up and finished him.

His purple was enhanced and completed with Grape Fizz Perfect Pearls, for a bit to sheen, Seedless Preserves, and Faded Jeans. His belly is Tumbled Glass and Faded Jeans while his spine and toenails are Worn Lipstick with Fired Brick. Chipped Sapphire added extra shading. His hat is Cracked Pistachio, Lucky Clover, and Pine Needles.


I fussy cut Dino. I also added black Enamel Accents to his eyes and Glossy Accents to his spine and toenails for fun dimension.

It was at this point that Dino started saying he wanted to be for a birthday.


I used a scrap of Not Quite Navy backed with adhesive sheet to die cut "happy birthday". I then tried various card type layouts but nothing seemed to fit until I thought.. hmm.. tag.. hmm.. felt. And then the idea blossomed.


I die cut a sitched circle from cream coloured felt and then, with Multi-Medium Matte, adhered Dino to the circle. Thinking he looked a little plain, I used a balloon mask to add a balloon behind him with Mermaid Lagoon and a blending tool. I should have put the balloon on the tag before putting Dino on the tag, that would have been so much simpler *laugh*.


Tags have 2 sides so I always like to decorate both. On the other side I had adhered the "happy birthday", also before thinking about the balloons. Here, too, if I had thought of balloons first, it would have been easy to add them.


After adding two balloons behind "happy birthday" (Seedless Preserves and Fired Brick), I punched two holes at the top of the tag with a simple 1-hole punch from office supplies.



I always lose the dot from the "i" in the birthday die cut, so I added a square silver stud for the tittle. I also added a blue hemp twine bow.




Challenges

All Dressed Up: Anything Goes
Seize the Birthday: Felt
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge: Cute
The Paper Shelter: For a Special Moment
Crafting From the Heart: Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes

5 comments:

  1. Wow fab tag, loving the image with the balloons, thanks for sharing with us at All Dressed Up, hugs Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So SUPER CUTE! I adore your fun dino and love that you put it on a felt shape! Well done - Thanks for joining in at STB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable tag! That dino is too cute! Such a fun design!!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty, such a cute little dino.
    Thank you for joining us at The Paper Shelter.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rijacki - this is an amazing tag and I love all the masking and addition of the balloons in the background! Super colouring of Dino too. Thanks for playing along at All Dressed Up.
    Helen W (DT) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.