29 January 2020

Snow-buddy Birthday - stenciling, alcohol marker


There's snow-buddy like you, so I hope you have a wonderful Brrrrr-thday! My wintery birthday card features stamps, inks, and a stencil from Kraftin' Kimmie stamps and Copic colouring.


Putting It Together 

I have a winter birthday which might be why I like winter so much. I started this project with a wintery brick wall and decided to pair it with a skier taking a break for a wintery scene birthday wishes.


For my brick wall, I mixed a pearlescent paste with drops from a Kimmie ink re-fill.  More drops result in a darker colour.


I mixed the ink and paste with a Nuvo silicon spatula.


I then used the spatula to smear through the stencil on a Bristol panel. I used Press and Seal under the panel to keep the paper and stencil anchored.  I made two panels, one in each direction but only have process pictures from the one I didn't use this time.


While the paste was wet, I took off the stencil and sprinkled on Glamour Dust to sparkle like ice crystals on the wall. I sprinkled unevenly for a more 'natural' look.


 I stamped the skier on Strathmore Marker paper with Wicked Black for a more whimsical 'cartoon' look and then coloured with Copic markers adding two Nuvo alcohol markers for colours I don't have in Copics.
E000
E00
E11
E13
E18
E21
E31
E33
E37
E29
BG11
BG13
BG49
BG09
BG39
C1
C5
BV000
BV31
BV34
Y00
Y15
Y26
G82
C7
C9
C10
R37
110

Nuvo 360
Nuvo 425



I might actually be getting better with alcohol markers. They definitely don't intimidate me as much now thanks to classes from Kit and Clowder and Sweet Sentiment along with a lot of encouragement and additions to my stash. I do like Copics but not their price, so I add to them when I can find them cheaper but also pick up other colours in cheaper brands such as Nuvo and Spectrum Noir. They all mix together, so that works, too.


I fussy cut the image and did a dry layout with a trimmed brick wall before heading to bed. Darn that work thing in the morning.


I decided to add a little icy sparkle to the inside. I squeezed out some Crystal Stickles...


then dragged the edges of a small white panel through the sparkly goodness.


I added a sentiment stamped on a white strip from another Kimmie set and popped up the image with foam mounting tape. I used a kraft cardbase to give the brick a neutral matting.


Inside, with patterned paper background and a sentiment from a third Kimmie set, the icy edged panel gives ample room for a personal message.



Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Online Krop: #3 Texture with a Stencil
Watercooler Wednesday: Occasion - Birthday
Outlawz Festive Friday: Theme - Birthday and Snowy Weather
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Anything Goes
Through the Craftroom Door: Anything Goes

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, where do I begin, Kate? There is so much wonderful detail in your card and each detail seems so absolutely right. The powdering of Glamour Dust, for example, adds just the right touch of icy crystals to that wall, adding to the snow by her feet, and making you feel the cold on the ski hill. I love the shading you've done with your alcohol inks. You've added real dimension to your image. A wonderful, beautifully crafted card. Thanks so much for sharing with us for our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome brick background!! Fab card hun <3
    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a superb card. So much fun texture and great design. Thanks for playing with us at Watercooler Wednesday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful scene you've created on your card, Kate! All the little details you've added really brings it to life! Great work!! Thanks so much for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wall is amazing! Great technique. Your image is coloured beautifully and looks fantastic against the background.
    Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Hugs Sheryl
    TTCRD DT
    Cat Crazy Craft Corner {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.