The other night I decided to escape to my workshop and make some bookmarks. These are where I wandered creatively.
One of my co-workers at my day job is looking for an easy inexpensive gift for a friend of hers. The friend of my co-worker likes music, so I looked though my collection (hoard) of supplies and stuff and discovered a decided dearth of music related items. That's noteworthy. *smirk*
One item I do have is a Spellbinders embossing folder with musical notes. This is one of the folders that has one impression on one side and flip it inside out to get a different pattern. This is handy for storage (1 folder vs 2) but the folder is opaque which can make paper placement awkward if you have anything less than a full sheet.
First thing I tried was to simply add Distress Ink (Faded Jeans) to the embossing folder and then, after running it through the big shot with the bookmark blank, adding Versamark with silver embossing powder to the notes and musical symbols. It looks nice but not exactly what I wanted, a bit too simple.
So, I used the same folder and ran some vellum through. I used Versamark and black sequin embossing powder (it has multi-colour sparkle in the black which is hard to see in the pictures).
Using the Heidi Swapp Lattice stencil and two Distress Inks (Picked Raspberry and Peacock Feathers) I added colour to a bookmark blank. I started with one colour and then shifted my stencil over and added the second colour.
I laid the vellum over the coloured panel and joined them with washi tape from Stampin' Up. I wasn't really thrilled with how this tape looked with the project so changed it later.
I decided I wanted to do some watercolouring, so I cut a bookmark blank from Stampin' Up Natural White which holds up better to light watercolouring than the Recollections bookmark blanks. I used a stamp from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps June release, and used a pastel palette to make a summer reading bookmark. I added a thin pink ribbon with dots but wasn't really satisfied with the ribbon.
I added sheer ribbon to the music bookmarks but the black notes one was bugging me. I liked the way the colours showed through the vellum, but the washi and ribbon were just wrong.
I changed the washi to Silver dotted tape and the ribbon to a 2 colour satin and Voila! That was what it was missing.
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps blog 9 July Saturday challenge: Anything Goes